I was ecstatic when the owners of the Morley House in Gatlinburg, Tennessee, graciously shared this fabulous recipe with me. It's so good! —Debbie Dougherty, New Albany, Indiana
Recommended: 10 Easy Breakfast Recipes to Make for Mom
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 16 slices bread, crusts removed
- 10 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- STRAWBERRY SAUCE:
- 1 jar (18 ounces) strawberry preserves
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- Spread cream cheese over eight slices of bread; top with remaining bread. Cut sandwiches into 1-in. squares; place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, cream, butter and syrup; pour into the dish. With a spoon, gently press bread cubes into egg mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean and top is golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan, combine preserves and strawberries. Cook and stir until preserves are melted. Serve with French toast bake. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 cups sauce).
Originally published as Strawberry French Toast Bake in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2011, p26
Reviews for Strawberry French Toast Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 15, 2015
"I loved this. I used strawberry cream cheese. I baked the dish covered for 40 minutes and 15 uncovered. I probably should have just baked it uncovered from the beginning."