Strawberry Custard Torte Recipe
"This elegant dessert is as beautiful as it is delicious," says Brenda Bodnar from Euclid, Ohio. "Not only is it ultra-easy to prepare, but it's a make-ahead recipe, so there's no last-minute fussing when company is coming."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed and drained
- Sliced fresh strawberries and mint leaves, optional
- 1. Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 2. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt; gradually stir in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in butter and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- 3. Place half of the whipped topping in a large bowl; add strawberries. Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the strawberry mixture. Top with a second cake layer; spread with custard. Top with a third cake layer; spread with remaining strawberry mixture. Top with remaining cake layer and whipped topping. Refrigerate overnight. Garnish with strawberries and mint if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC