Strawberry Custard Pies
These pies were a spring special at a restaurant where I used to work. Whoever was the cook that day had to bake them first thing in the morning and again in the afternoon, as soon as strawberries were ready. —Caroline Park, Pritchard, British Columbia
48 ServingsPrep: 35 min. + chilling
- 4-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 4-1/2 cups cold water
- 3 packages (3 ounces each) strawberry gelatin
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 packages (3 ounces each) cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
- 6 pastry shells (9 inches), baked
- 3 pounds fresh strawberries, halved
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; gradually stir in
- water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or
- until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in gelatin and lemon
- juice until gelatin is dissolved. Cool to room temperature.
- Prepare pudding mixes according to package directions. Pour into
- pastry shells. Top with strawberries. Carefully spoon gelatin
- mixture over berries. Refrigerate until set. Garnish with whipped
- cream if desired. Yield: 6 pies (8 servings each).
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 304 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 202 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.