Strawberry Cream Cake Recipe
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 cups whole fresh strawberries
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 2. In another bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in the lemon juice, oil and water. Combine flour and salt; add to yolk mixture.
- 3. Beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into the batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- 4. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 5. In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add the confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form.
- 6. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan; remove cake.
- 7. Cut into three horizontal layers. Place one layer on a serving plate; top with some of the whipped cream and sliced strawberries. Repeat. Top with remaining cake layer; spread remaining whipped cream over top and sides of cake. Arrange remaining sliced berries on sides of cake.
- 8. Cut whole berries in half; arrange on cake top. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 408 calories, 21 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 160 mg cholesterol, 150 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.