Mildred Sherrer of Bay City, Texas enhances the mild berry flavor of this moist coffee cake with a crunchy cinnamon filling. Bake in a fluted pan, it's pretty enough to serve for an afternoon party or Sunday brunch.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add eggs; mix well. combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Beat in vanilla. Fold in the strawberries. Spoon half into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- Combine the filling ingredients; sprinkle half over batter. Top with remaining batter and filling. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry Coffee Cake in Country Woman May/June 2002, p40
Reviews for Strawberry Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review