- 3-1/2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 2/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg white
- 2-1/2 pints fresh strawberries
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup chocolate syrup
- In a large bowl, combine the biscuit mix, 2/3 cup sugar and cocoa. Stir in milk and butter; mix well. Drop by 1/3 cupfuls at least 2 in. apart onto a greased baking sheet. Beat egg white until foamy; brush over shortcakes. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
- Set aside 10 whole strawberries; slice remaining strawberries. In a large bowl, beat cream and confectioners' sugar until soft peaks form.
- Just before serving, split shortcakes horizontally. Spoon half of the whipped cream and all of the sliced berries between cake layers. Spoon remaining whipped cream on top. Drizzle with chocolate syrup; top with a whole berry. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry Chocolate Shortcake in Taste of Home February/March 1998, p8
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Strawberry Chocolate Shortcake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 8, 2012
"I have made this several times for Valentine's Day and it IS impressive AND tasty!"