Strawberry Chocolate Meringue Recipe
This special-occasion dessert is impressive and elegant. Strawberries are my family's favorite fruit, and they go great with chocolate. -Mary Lou Smarsh, Laurel, Montana
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds, toasted
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups whole fresh strawberries
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Trace a 9-in. circle on paper.
- 2. Beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in almonds.
- 3. Spoon meringue evenly over circle, forming a 1-1/4-in. rim. Bake at 300° for 45 minutes. Turn oven off; leave meringue in oven for 1 hour.
- 4. Remove from the oven and cool on baking sheets. When cooled completely, remove meringues from paper and store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- 5. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the cocoa, milk and vanilla. Fold in whipped cream. Spoon into the meringue shell. Top with strawberries.
- 6. In a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over berries. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 323 calories, 17 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 57 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC