- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds, toasted
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups whole fresh strawberries
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Trace a 9-in. circle on paper.
- Beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in almonds.
- Spoon meringue evenly over circle, forming a 1-1/4-in. rim. Bake at 300° for 45 minutes. Turn oven off; leave meringue in oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and cool on baking sheets. When cooled completely, remove meringues from paper and store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the cocoa, milk and vanilla. Fold in whipped cream. Spoon into the meringue shell. Top with strawberries.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over berries. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry Chocolate Meringue in Reminisce January/February 2003, p49
Reviews for Strawberry Chocolate Meringue
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 12, 2014
"Have made it several times - delicious chocolate cream cheese mixture!! I left out the almonds from the meringue. Also I sliced the strawberries rather than leaving them whole."