After I tasted this dessert at a party, a friend shared the recipe. It originally called for pound cake...and I decided to lighten it up by substituting angel food. The result was this delicious light torte. —Kathy Martinez of Tucson, Arizona
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 package (.3 ounce) sugar-free strawberry gelatin
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup seedless strawberry jam
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant cheesecake or vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 kiwifruit, peeled, halved and sliced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with ungreased parchment paper. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 24-26 minutes or until top is lightly browned. Sprinkle sugar over a waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Immediately invert cake onto baking sheet. Gently peel off parchment paper; cool completely.
- Dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Stir in jam until melted. With a fork, poke cake at 1/2-in. intervals. Brush with gelatin mixture; chill for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese, milk and lemon juice until smooth. Beat in whipped topping and pudding mix. Reserve 1 cup. Cut a small hole in the corner of pastry or plastic bag; insert a large star tip. Fill the bag with pudding mixture.
- Trim edges of cake. Cut widthwise into three equal rectangles; place one on serving plate. Spread 1/2 cup reserved pudding mixture in center. Pipe pudding mixture around top edge of cake. Repeat layer. Top with third cake layer. Pipe pudding mixture along top edges. Fill center with fruit. Sprinkle with lemon peel. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry Cheesecake Torte in Light & Tasty February/March 2003, p37
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Strawberry Cheesecake Torte
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review