Strawberry Cake Roll Recipe
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 carton (8 ounces) Mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 1. Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Coat a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with cooking spray; line with waxed paper and coat the paper with cooking spray. Set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks, 1/3 cup sugar, milk and lemon peel. Gradually stir in flour. Add cream of tartar to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold into egg yolk mixture.
- 3. Carefully spread into prepared pan. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine cheese and lemon juice. Unroll cake; spread filling evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with sugar and top with strawberries; roll up again. Cover and chill for 1 hour before serving. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 190 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 95 mg cholesterol, 33 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Strawberry Cake Roll
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.