Marscarpone cheese, fresh strawberries and a hint of lemon flavor this mouthwatering and impressive-looking dessert from Carrie Vazzano in Rolling Meadows, Illinois. An added bonus…the waxed-paper lined pan makes for speedy cleanup! CARRIE’S TIP. For health-conscious cooks or those counting calories, skimmed milk and reduced-fat cheese make easy, slimming substitutions.—Carrie Vazzano, Rolling Meadows, Illinois
Recommended: 21 Easter Cake Recipes
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 carton (8 ounces) Mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Coat a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with cooking spray; line with waxed paper and coat the paper with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks, 1/3 cup sugar, milk and lemon peel. Gradually stir in flour. Add cream of tartar to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold into egg yolk mixture.
- Carefully spread into prepared pan. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine cheese and lemon juice. Unroll cake; spread filling evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with sugar and top with strawberries; roll up again. Cover and chill for 1 hour before serving. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry Cake Roll in Simple & Delicious May/June 2006, p46
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Strawberry Cake Roll
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 12, 2009
"What in the worl is MASCORPONE Cheese??"