Strawberry Cake Roll Recipe
Marscarpone cheese, fresh strawberries and a hint of lemon flavor this mouthwatering and impressive-looking dessert from Carrie Vazzano in Rolling Meadows, Illinois. An added bonus…the waxed-paper lined pan makes for speedy cleanup! CARRIE’S TIP. For health-conscious cooks or those counting calories, skimmed milk and reduced-fat cheese make easy, slimming substitutions.Carrie Vazzano, Rolling Meadows, Illinois
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 carton (8 ounces) Mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Coat a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with cooking spray; line with waxed paper and coat the paper with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks, 1/3 cup sugar, milk and lemon peel. Gradually stir in flour. Add cream of tartar to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold into egg yolk mixture.
- Carefully spread into prepared pan. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine cheese and lemon juice. Unroll cake; spread filling evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with sugar and top with strawberries; roll up again. Cover and chill for 1 hour before serving. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry Cake Roll in Simple & Delicious May/June 2006, p46
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Strawberry Cake Roll(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Berry Recipes >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Diabetic Desserts >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Easter Desserts >
- Easter Recipes >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >