Strawberry Breakfast Spread
"This recipe comes from my mother, Helen Orman, who is on a restricted diet," says Theresa Brown of Mountain Home, Idaho. "She makes this yummy fruit spread often and uses it in place of jellies and syrups."
10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1-3/4 cups unsweetened strawberries, mashed
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over orange juice; let stand
- for 1 minute. Cook and stir over low heat until gelatin is
- dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in remaining ingredients.
- Transfer to a container; cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours or
- until firm. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 1-1/4 cups.
Editor's Note: This recipe was tested with Equal Sweetner
Nutritional Facts: One serving (2 tablespoons) equals 16 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: Free food.