I really love baking up my mom's German torte. Don't be intimidated by this dessert—it's much easier to put together than you might think!
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- Sweetened whipped cream, optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 325°. Line bottoms of two greased 8-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extract.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Transfer to prepared pans.
- For meringue, with clean beaters, beat egg whites with vanilla and cream of tartar on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Spread over batter in pans; sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake 28-32 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Cool completely in pans on wire racks (meringue will crack).
- Meanwhile, for filling, in a small heavy saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Cool completely.
- Loosen edges of cakes from pans with a knife. Using two large spatulas, carefully remove one cake to a serving plate, meringue side up. Gently spread with filling. Arrange strawberries over filling. Top with remaining cake layer, meringue side up. If desired, serve with whipped cream. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry Blitz Torte in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2014
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Strawberry Blitz Torte
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review