Strawberry-Basil Vinegar Recipe
The mild, fruity flavor of this strawberry vinaigrette complements any tossed salad. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled
- 4 cups white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 1. Place strawberries in a food processor; cover and process until pureed. Transfer to a large glass bowl; add vinegar and lemon peel. Place 1/4 cup basil in a small bowl.
- 2. With a mortar or a wooden spoon, crush basil until aromas are released. Repeat with remaining basil; stir into strawberry mixture. Cover and let stand in a cool dark place for up to 3 days, stirring once daily.
- 3. Line a strainer with four layers of cheesecloth or one coffee filter and place over a large saucepan. Strain vinegar into pan (do not press out solids). Discard solids.
- 4. Heat vinegar to 180°, over medium heat. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 5 half-pints.
1 tablespoon: 6 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, trace sodium, 1g carbohydrate (trace sugars, trace fiber), trace protein
Reviews for Strawberry-Basil Vinegar
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC