Strawberry-Basil Vinegar Recipe
The recipe for this robust vinegar comes from our Test Kitchen. The mild, fruity flavor of the vinaigrette complements any tossed salad.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + standing Process: 10 min. YIELD:80 servings
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled
- 4 cups white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 1. Place strawberries in a food processor; cover and process until pureed. Transfer to a large glass bowl; add vinegar and lemon peel. Place 1/4 cup basil in a small bowl.
- 2. With a mortar or a wooden spoon, crush basil until aromas are released. Repeat with remaining basil; stir into strawberry mixture. Cover and let stand in a cool dark place for up to 3 days, stirring once daily.
- 3. Line a strainer with four layers of cheesecloth or one coffee filter and place over a large saucepan. Strain vinegar into pan (do not press out solids). Discard solids.
- 4. Heat vinegar to 180°, over medium heat. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 5 half-pints.
1 tablespoon equals 6 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, trace sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchange: Free food.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC