Strawberry-Banana Gelatin Salad Recipe
- 1 package (6 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, partially thawed
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup mashed firm bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in water. Stir in strawberries, pineapple, bananas and nuts. Pour half of the mixture into a 13-in. x 9-in. dish. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.
- 2. Set the remaining gelatin mixture aside. Combine the sour cream, sugar and vanilla. Spread over the chilled gelatin. Spoon remaining gelatin mixture over top. Chill overnight. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 piece: 184 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 42mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Strawberry-Banana Gelatin Salad
"My mom made this every Thanksgiving and Christmas and it is the best! It wouldn't feel like the holidays without it! To fix the problem of not setting, follow this instead:Drain the pineapple very well.Use very ripe bananasHere is the recipe that has always worked well for my family:1 lg pk strawberry Jello (or 2 small)1 1/2 cups boiling water**Melt jello in water. CHILL jello (but not set!)In separate bowl:Mash 2 ripe bananasAdd a small can of drained crushed pineappleAdd - sm pk frozen strawberries ( thaw halfway and crush with fork before adding)Stir all gently into chilled jello and mix in a handful of crushed pecansLayer in a casserole dish - 1/2 jello mixture in bottom.Chill 45 minSpread sour cream (no sugar) on top.Pour remaining jello mixture on topChill completely**the chilling process is important to help it set properly.ENJOY!!"
"My mother made this every year for Thanksgiving and it was such a hit! It is a perfect dish for the holidays!"
"The flavor of this salad is delicious, however, it does not ever set up, it is like strawberry soup. I have made it several times and follow the recipe to the letter and it turns out the same every time."
"This was a great recipe for Christmas dinner. I doubled everything but the sour cream middle. It was delicious."
"Awesome sweetness/tartness combination, not so good at setting up."
"My circle gals loved it & thought it very appropo for a springtime salad. I used black walnuts which gave it a great taste."
"I want to try this for my circle meeting next month but was wondering if the recipe can be doubled successfully or should I make it twice for ample servings? Tks"