My husband and I are avid cooks. In fact, we feel like most of our 30 years together have been spent in the kitchen! We've experimented with so many recipes, but this one remains at the top of our list.
- 10 to 12 slices day-old French bread (1 inch thick)
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed
- 4 firm bananas, sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie or apple pie spice
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon-sugar
- Place bread slices in a large shallow baking dish. Combine eggs, milk, vanilla and baking powder; pour over bread. Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. In a bowl, combine the strawberries, bananas, sugar and pie spice; pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Arrange prepared bread on top. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry-Banana French Toast in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p40
Reviews for Strawberry-Banana French Toast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review