Strawberry Apple Salad Recipe
Although I live in the city now, I was born and raised in the country in Wayne County, Ohio. Our county and the neighboring one, Holmes, had a high Amish population, and it is from one of my Amish friends that I received this recipe. It is traditionally served at weddings in some Amish circles.
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) strawberry gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups diced peeled apples
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 envelope whipped topping mix (Dream Whip)
- 1. Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set aside 1/2 cup. To remaining juice, add enough cold water to measure 2 cups.
- 2. In a bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water; stir in the juice/water mixture. Add pineapple and apples. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. dish coated with cooking spray; cover and chill until firm.
- 3. In a small saucepan, combine sugar and flour. Stir in reserved pineapple juice until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount (or give the amount) of hot filling into egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; gently stir in cream cheese until smooth. Cool.
- 4. Prepare whipped topping mix according to package directions. Fold whipped topping into cream cheese mixture. Spread over gelatin. Cover and chill until topping is set, about 3 hours. Yield: 15 servings.
1 piece: 161 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 68mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein .
Reviews for Strawberry Apple Salad
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC