Dianne Ebke of Plymouth, Nebraska was baking an apple pie for dinner at her in-laws, when she ran short of apples at the last minute. “I substituted strawberries for the rest of the apples and didn’t tell anyone,“ she recalls. “But that pie was such a hit, I’ve been making it ever since!“
- 3-1/2 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1-1/4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Whipped topping, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the apples and strawberries; drizzle with lemon juice. Combine sugar and flour; sprinkle over fruit and toss lightly.
- Line a 9-in. pie place with bottom pastry; trim even with edge of plate. Add filling. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over pastry. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; remove foil and bake 35-40 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Garnish with whipped topping if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry Apple Pie in Simple & Delicious May/June 2006, p45
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Strawberry Apple Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review