- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) strawberry gelatin
- 3/4 cup plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups boiling water
- 5 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed and drained
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions; cool completely. In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin and 3/4 cup sugar in boiling water. Mash half of the strawberries; add to gelatin mixture. Refrigerate until slightly thickened, about 1 hour. Slice remaining strawberries; stir into the gelatin.
- Cut cake into 1-in. cubes. Place half in a 3-qt. trifle or glass bowl. Top with half of the gelatin mixture. Repeat. Cover and refrigerate until set, about 4 hours. In a bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Spoon over gelatin. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Strawberry Angel Trifle
"This is good, but not too sure why you would need all that sugar that is called for. I only used 3 tbsps, and that was just in the whipping cream."
"I make this quite often for family functions, but instead of sugar I use splenda , and I use lowfat diabetic friendly pound cake instead of angel food cake. It seems like there is never enough! But, I have to have to have my heavy cream for it."
"My Mom used to make this when I was a kid, I've been looking for the recipe for years. I love it!"
"Made this strawberry trifle and it was gone so fast. Huge hit. Will make aging and again."