Strawberry Angel Delight
For a nice ending to a barbecue, offer slices of this tempting tunnel cake shared by Jean King of Anderson, California. "I found the recipe in an old cookbook," she recalls. TIP: "When making the filling, use any type of fruit you prefer," Jean says.
10-12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 1/3 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 prepared angel food cake (8 to 10 ounces)
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add
- confectioners’ sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. In a large bowl,
- combine the marshmallows, strawberries, pineapple and 1-1/2 cups
- whipped cream.
- Cut a 1-in. slice off the top of the cake; set aside. Carefully
- hollow out bottom of cake, leaving a 1-in. shell. Set aside 1/2 cup
- strawberry mixture. Fill tunnel in cake with remaining strawberry
- mixture; replace cake top. Spread remaining whipped cream over top
- and sides of cake. Spread reserved strawberry mixture over the top.
- Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.