Strawberry Almond Pastries
"I try hard to avoid sugar, but I don't want to give up sweet treats altogether," reports Connie Moore of Medway. Ohio. "Fruit spread provides wonderful flavor in desserts like these pastries. Made with convenient phyllo dough, they are light and crisp—flaky on the outside and chewy inside."
12 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 12 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 1 jar (10 ounces) strawberry all-fruit spread
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface with a long side
- facing you; spritz dough with cooking spray. Layer with two more
- sheets, spritzing in between. Spread half of the fruit spread over
- dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with half of the almonds.
- Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; moisten edges
- with water and press to seal. Cut into three pieces. Repeat three
- more times with remaining ingredients.
- Place pieces, cut side down, 1 in. apart on a baking sheet coated
- with cooking spray. Lightly spritz tops with cooking spray. Bake at
- 375° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire
- racks to cool. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: One pastry equals 101 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 51 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 starch.