"I try hard to avoid sugar, but I don't want to give up sweet treats altogether," reports Connie Moore of Medway. Ohio. "Fruit spread provides wonderful flavor in desserts like these pastries. Made with convenient phyllo dough, they are light and crisp—flaky on the outside and chewy inside."
Recommended: 60 Spring Farmers Market Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 12 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 1 jar (10 ounces) strawberry all-fruit spread
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface with a long side facing you; spritz dough with cooking spray. Layer with two more sheets, spritzing in between. Spread half of the fruit spread over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with half of the almonds.
- Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; moisten edges with water and press to seal. Cut into three pieces. Repeat three more times with remaining ingredients.
- Place pieces, cut side down, 1 in. apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Lightly spritz tops with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Strawberry Almond Pastries in Light & Tasty April/May 2001, p44