- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a large saucepan, combine cornstarch and strawberries until blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in cinnamon and almond extract; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Set aside 1/2 cup for topping. Add baking powder, baking soda and salt to the remaining flour mixture. Stir in buttermilk and egg until moistened.
- Spread 1-1/2 cups of batter into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Carefully spread with the strawberry mixture. Drop remaining batter by tablespoonfuls over strawberry mixture. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry Coffee Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p107
Reviews for Strawberry Almond Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 18, 2012
"I make 1.5 times the dough amount, so it is easier to spread. I am going to try it with cranberries next and see how that goes. It isn't too sweet and is wonderful warm."
Reviewed Jul. 10, 2011
"This was wonderful & my family loved it and requested it again."