Strawberry Almond Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine cornstarch and strawberries until blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in cinnamon and almond extract; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Set aside 1/2 cup for topping. Add baking powder, baking soda and salt to the remaining flour mixture. Stir in buttermilk and egg until moistened.
- 3. Spread 1-1/2 cups of batter into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Carefully spread with the strawberry mixture. Drop remaining batter by tablespoonfuls over strawberry mixture. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 9 servings.
1 piece: 367 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 309mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Strawberry Almond Coffee Cake
"I make 1.5 times the dough amount, so it is easier to spread. I am going to try it with cranberries next and see how that goes. It isn't too sweet and is wonderful warm."
"This was wonderful & my family loved it and requested it again."