Strawberry Almond Coffee Cake Recipe
I came across this winning recipe when helping my mom organize her extensive recipe collection.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine cornstarch and strawberries until blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in cinnamon and almond extract; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Set aside 1/2 cup for topping. Add baking powder, baking soda and salt to the remaining flour mixture. Stir in buttermilk and egg until moistened.
- 3. Spread 1-1/2 cups of batter into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Carefully spread with the strawberry mixture. Drop remaining batter by tablespoonfuls over strawberry mixture. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 9 servings.
1 piece equals 367 calories, 16 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 309 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC