Strawberries 'n' Cream Trifle
My mother-in-law gave me this recipe, which I lightened up by using less milk, reduced-fat whipped topping and angel food cake instead of pound cake. It's good made with fresh peaches or blueberries, too.
—Pamela Gainer of Sand Ridge, West Virginia
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1-1/2 cups cold water
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- 1 prepared angel food cake (8 to 10 ounces)
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 3 whole fresh strawberries
- In a bowl, whisk the milk and water. Whisk in the pudding mix for 2
- minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set; fold in the
- whipped topping. Cut cake into 1/2-in. cubes.
- Spoon a third of the pudding mixture into a 4-qt. trifle or glass
- bowl. Top with half of the cake cubes and sliced strawberries.
- Repeat layers once. Top with remaining pudding mixture. Garnish with
- whole strawberries. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving equals 156 calories, 3 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 223 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.