Strawberries 'n' Cream Scones
If you are like me, you won't be able to eat just one of these warm scones rich with cream and packed with berry goodness.Agnes Ward, Stratford, Ontario
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder,
- lemon peel, salt and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles
- coarse crumbs. Stir in cream just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead five times. Gently knead
- in strawberries, about five times. Pat into an 8-in. circle; brush
- with egg and sprinkle with remaining sugar. Cut into eight wedges.
- Separate wedges and place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake
- at 425° for 9-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
- Yield: 8 scones.
Nutritional Facts: 1 scone equals 233 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 387 mg sodium,