Strawberries 'n' Cream Scones Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, lemon peel, salt and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cream just until moistened.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead five times. Gently knead in strawberries, about five times. Pat into an 8-in. circle; brush with egg and sprinkle with remaining sugar. Cut into eight wedges.
- 3. Separate wedges and place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 9-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 8 scones.
1 each: 233 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 387mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Strawberries 'n' Cream Scones
"Most scones are pretty bland to me, but these are smooth with a touch of sweet. They are very sticky once you add the strawberries. I ate them warmed with a little strawberry jam. They freeze well."
"These were just OK, not much flavor and really missed the mark on the texture of a good scone."
"These tasted great but I had a little trouble getting the strawberries kneaded in without the dough becoming sticky. I think it might be better to add the berries to the dry ingredients after you cut the butter in. Then add the cream and gently knead five times. I think that's what I will try next time I make them."
"Pretty good, as far as scones go. Not to dry, like some are. Very strawberry-y."
"My family loved these scones - disappeared in a few minutes. Just a few notes - when you add the cream the mixture will be crumbly but becomes a dough when you add the strawberries. We added some whipped cream on top (spray bottle was easy) to make them even better."
"Exactly to recipe an excellent scone"
"Delicious and very pretty!"
"These delicious scones, with a creamy melt in your mouth taste and soft, juciy strawberries, truly live up to their name. We loved these scones - they are already the favorite scone for most of our family. The batter was a bit sticky to work with but definately worth it!!! Will make again!"