Strawberries & Cream Torte Recipe
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup plus 1/2 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Additional fresh strawberries
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 8-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, beating well. Beat in vanilla.
- 3. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Transfer to prepared pans.
- 4. With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Add remaining sugar, beating on high until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft peaks form. Spread over batter in pans.
- 5. Bake 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pans on wire racks. (Cake layers will be thin.)
- 6. In a large bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Loosen edges of cakes from pans with a knife. Carefully remove one cake to a serving plate, meringue side up.
- 7. Arrange sliced strawberries over top; sprinkle with sugar. Gently spread with half of the whipped cream. Top with remaining cake layer, meringue side up; spread with remaining whipped cream. Top with whole strawberries. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 267 calories, 20 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 100 mg cholesterol, 158 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Strawberries & Cream Torte
"Agree with comment that cream topping needs sugar. All that work and no flavor to it. We adjusted by sprinkling a lot more sugar on the strawberries and still enjoyed it. Also this does not feed 12; hard pressed to get 10 small slices."
"So disappointed in this recipe. Cake with meringue top was good but the cream was so bland that it overpowered the flavor of the cake. I triple checked the recipe and thought there must be a mistake not adding sugar to whipping cream to sweeten. Without sugar in cream the cake just lacked flavor."
"Made for a family picnic. Reminded me of my late Grandma's strawberry shortcake. Delicious!"
"Made for Easter dinner. Lovely and tasty! A winner all around. Layered both cake layers with sliced slightly sweetened strawberries."
"I made this for Easter dessert yesterday and it was delicious! Everyone loved it. I used a few more strawberries and made 2 layers of strawberries on the cakes instead of putting strawberries on the top of the cake. It made a beautiful dessert."
"Made this for my husband's birthday. I cut it in half for just the 2 of us. It was really good."
"Had to rate before I could submit but I haven't tried it yet, just wondering if I can use 1/2 cup of whole milk instead of 2%?"
"This is my new favorite dessert. It's quick, easy, incredibly delicious, and a stunning crowd-pleaser!"
"Although this took a little time to make it was worth every minute. It took me back to when I was a child and strawberries were in season, I would come home for dinner and then Mom would bring a dessert made with fresh berries and we would all eat way more than we should have. Thank you Cathy for this great recipe, everyone that ate it loved it."
"Very easy to make and looks spectacular.Make sure to follow the instructions about greasing the pan and the parchment paper - the cake is thin and needs to be able to get out of the pan easily. We added some dissolved unflavored gelatine to the whipped cream to help it stand up in hot weather. Great recipe for when strawberries are abounding!"
"We had guests over for dinner last week and I decided to try this recipe for dessert. I was very pleased with the results. It was not difficult to make and the taste was amazing! I enjoyed that it wasn't too sweet, and that I had the ingredients on hand to make. It was a hit with everyone at the dinner table, especially my 8 year old son."
"Wonderful light recipe with loads of flavor. We liked it so much we are making it for 80 people at summer camp. Very Easy too!"
"Very yummy! A definite keeper. Everyone loved this light and tasty desert."
"Lucious and light. I just tried this for a dinner I hosted this weekend and my guests raved of how wonderful this was. A must keep and I intend to make this all through the summer. A very special thanks for sharing !!!!"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.