Straw and Hay Recipe
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 8 ounces uncooked fettuccine
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham (4 ounces)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1. In a blender, combine the milk, cottage cheese and cornstarch; cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a small saucepan; add the salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese until melted.
- 2. Cook fettuccine according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook ham and garlic for 2 minutes. Add peas; cook until heated through. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese sauce.
- 3. Drain fettuccine. Add to sauce; toss to coat. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 237 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 473 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 14 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.