Stovetop Rice Pudding Recipe
This is my mom’s recipe, which she called creamy steamed rice. Although many people would eat it for dessert, it was one of my favorite breakfasts when I was growing up. My family considers it a real treat.
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Cinnamon sticks and fresh fruit, optional
- 1. In a large heavy saucepan, bring water to a boil over medium-high heat; stir in rice and salt. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- 2. Stir in milk and sugar. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 30-40 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat; stir in butter.
- 3. Serve warm or chilled. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Garnish with cinnamon sticks and fruit if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 283 calories, 9 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 316 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 7 g protein.
Reviews for Stovetop Rice Pudding
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC