Stovetop Rice Pudding
This is my mom’s recipe, which she called creamy steamed rice. Although many people would eat it for dessert, it was one of my favorite breakfasts when I was growing up. My family considers it a real treat.
4-6 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Cinnamon sticks and fresh fruit, optional
- In a large heavy saucepan, bring water to a boil over medium-high
- heat; stir in rice and salt. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15
- minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Stir in milk and sugar. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 30-40
- minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from the
- heat; stir in butter.
- Serve warm or chilled. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Garnish with cinnamon
- sticks and fruit if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 283 calories, 9 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 316 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 7 g protein.