This is my mom’s recipe, which she called creamy steamed rice. Although many people would eat it for dessert, it was one of my favorite breakfasts when I was growing up. My family considers it a real treat.
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Cinnamon sticks and fresh fruit, optional
- In a large heavy saucepan, bring water to a boil over medium-high heat; stir in rice and salt. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Stir in milk and sugar. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 30-40 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat; stir in butter.
- Serve warm or chilled. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Garnish with cinnamon sticks and fruit if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Stovetop Rice Pudding in Country Extra November 2006, p51
Reviews for Stovetop Rice Pudding
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review