Stovetop Pot Roast Recipe
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 pound carrots, cut into chunks
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1. Cut slits in roast; insert garlic slices. In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil on all sides. Remove roast; add the onion, celery and turnips to skillet. Place roast over vegetables; add water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- 2. Add the potatoes, carrots and beans; cover and cook for 45 minutes. Add mushrooms; cover and cook 15 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Remove to a serving platter and keep warm.
- 3. Skim fat from cooking juices. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with roast and vegetables. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 each: 360 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 276mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 30g protein
Reviews for Stovetop Pot Roast
"My husband and I lovethis meal. He is a meat lover and this hits the spot."
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.