Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese
When I was a girl, Mama used Texas Longhorn cheese in this recipe. After it melted all over the macaroni, I loved to dig in and see how many strings of cheese would follow my spoonful. —Imogene Hutton, Brownwood, Texas
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Paprika, optional
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large
- saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and
- pepper until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil,
- stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until
- Stir in cheese until melted. Drain macaroni; add to cheese sauce and
- stir to coat. If desired, sprinkle with paprika. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 388 calories, 22 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 542 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.