- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups water
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, water, soup mix, Italian seasoning and, if desired, pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Stir in macaroni. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-9 minutes or until macaroni is tender.
- Remove from the heat; stir in Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Cover and let stand for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 5 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Stovetop Italian Macaroni
Sort By :
"Good recipe for a large group...I made my own onion soup mix blend."
"My kids call this "Homemade Hamburger Helper". We all love this dish. I had to add garlic powder for more flavor. Thanks for sharing."
"I don't think this is a five star recipe but add a salad and garlic bread and it makes an inexpensive tastey weeknight supper. I think it could use a little extra seasoning."
"I make something close to this (I don't use onion soup, and I cook the macaroni separately, and add it to the hamb./veg. mixture) but I always add chopped green pepper. Those looking for more flavor might try that. I haven't used red pepper flakes, but think it might make a great addition."
"I did add a 1/4 tsp. of minced garlic and another cup of macaroni, as well as some black pepper. My family enjoyed it. I like that the red pepper gave it just a little kick. This was a nice quick meal on an evening that I didn't feel like cooking; will make again."