- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups water
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, water, soup mix, Italian seasoning and, if desired, pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Stir in macaroni. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-9 minutes or until macaroni is tender.
- Remove from the heat; stir in Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Cover and let stand for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 5 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Stovetop Italian Macaroni
"Not a bad dish. I used 1/2 hamburger and 1/2 Italian sausage and tomatoes with green pepper, onion, and celery. I also added onion. I think I would like it better with all hamburger. My family enjoyed it."
"Love this! A definite make again!"
"I doubled the recipe and replaced 1/3 of the ground beef with Bob Evans sausage and I added 2 tsp. of minced garlic to the recipe. We thought the meal was very tasty and has been added as a favorite."
"Made this for dinner, we love it! I followed the directions exactly then added chopped onion to cook with the hamburger, added salt and pepper to the hamburger as it cooked, garlic powder after all ingredients combined as well as additional salt and a little more crushed red pepper than in the recipe. It was delicious and I will make this again and again, a new favorite for us and it took no time at all. Toasted some soft baguette bread and we had sweet peas as a side. This was a very nice and easy, quick meal. Since there is just the two of us, we have left overs for next night and I'm taking some to my parents for dinner also. This is a good, good recipe."
"This was incredibly bland and terrible. Maybe since I used vegetable soup mix instead of onion, it lost it's flavor. I will not be making this again."
"my husband loved this and suggested I make it again (it's only been 4 days). I didn't add the red pepper flakes as I don't like them. My only change was I added some minced garlic and canned mushrooms. Very tasty and easy dish."
"Great meal! Simple and quick."
"This was a fabulous meal. My boyfriend thought it was wonderful! I will be making this again."