Stovetop Beef 'n' Shells Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked medium pasta shells
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- 2. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes. Drain pasta; stir into beef mixture and heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/4 cups equals 339 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 772 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch.