- 1-1/2 cups uncooked medium pasta shells
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes. Drain pasta; stir into beef mixture and heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Stovetop Beef 'n' Shells
"I made this recipe for the first time tonight, and my husband and I both enjoyed it very much. I only gave it four stars though because I didn't follow the recipe exactly. The changes i made were, a can of undiluted tomato soup, and i added a can of mexican corn. Instead of a clove of garlic, added granulated garlic. I served a salad and french bread with this and it went perfectly. There is plenty left to have again tomorrow night This recipe will be a keeper in my home."
"Haven't tried this so my rating is not real but I have to say this is NOT American Chop Suey (and I live in R.I.) since that has green peppers in it and uses elbows not shells."
"I added a little more garlic and some fresh parsley. Very tasty!"
"Love this recipe. So quick and easy. Since we are not big meat eaters I use only 1/2 lb. ground beef and add more pasta. I make a pound of pasta and add to meat mixture the amount of cooked pasta that looks good to me. I also substitute 1 tsp basil, 1/2 tsp oregano, & 1/2 tsp of thyme for the sugar, pepper and salt. So quick and so good!"
"Just like hamburger helper but much healthier. This recipe made our make-again list!"