Molasses really comes through in this big batch of sweet baked beans shared by our Test Kitchen. The recipe cooks quickly on the stove and makes enough for a picnic or barbecue. Or save the leftovers to use in the next two recipes.
Featured In: 30 Ways to Cook Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion in oil. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8-1/2 cups.
Originally published as Stovetop Baked Beans in Quick Cooking July/August 2002, p16
Reviews for Stovetop Baked Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review