Stone Soup Recipe
After reading the “Stone Soup” story, our Test Kitchen enjoyed concocting this version of the folktale classic. It’s chock-full of veggies and lots more ingredients…enough for everyone to bring something to add to the fun and flavor!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 4 medium red potatoes, cut into eighths
- 1 yellow summer squash, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups salad croutons
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the first eight ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- 2. Stir in the chicken, beans and barley. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables and barley are tender. Add tomatoes; heat through. Serve with croutons and cheese. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1-1/8 cups) equals 259 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 523 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 20 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC