After reading the “Stone Soup” story, our Test Kitchen enjoyed concocting this version of the folktale classic. It’s chock-full of veggies and lots more ingredients…enough for everyone to bring something to add to the fun and flavor!
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 4 medium red potatoes, cut into eighths
- 1 yellow summer squash, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups salad croutons
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first eight ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in the chicken, beans and barley. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables and barley are tender. Add tomatoes; heat through. Serve with croutons and cheese. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Stone Soup in Simple & Delicious March/April 2007, p41
Reviews for Stone Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review