Stollen Loaves Recipe
The recipe for these fresh-baked fruit-dotted loaves comes from my grandmother. They fill our house with a heavenly aroma that is such a part of the season.—Tom Guenther, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
- 3 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs
- 7 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups mixed candied fruit
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar; gradually beat in milk. Stir in yeast mixture. Beat in eggs, 4 cups flour and salt until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Stir in candied fruit, raisins and almonds.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes (dough will be sticky). Place in a grease bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divided into fourths. Shape each portion into a loaf. Place in four greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 4 loaves.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 180 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 107 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC