Stollen for a Crowd Recipe
If you’re expecting the whole gang, consider serving this versatile stollen. You can bake it ahead of time and pop it in the freezer. Later, when the pastry is thawed, just sprinkle on the confectioners’ sugar and serve. —Ruth Hartunian-Alumbaugh, Willimantic, Connecticut
- 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (9 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2 cans (12-1/2 ounces each) poppy seed cake and pastry filling
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, cake mix, yeast and salt. Add water to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a very large greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; turn onto a floured surface. Divide in half. Roll each half into a 12-in. x 8-in. oval. Spread each with 1 can filling. Fold a long side over to within 1 in. of opposite side; press edges lightly to seal. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice: 171 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 87mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Stollen for a Crowd
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC