Stirred Lemon Rice Custard
Our previous story on Shirley provided the recipe for Christmas Tree Bread pictured at left. This time, we're sharing another of her delicious recipes, Stirred Lemon Rice Custard. Try it-you'll enjoy it as much as our staff did!
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 70 min.
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice, chilled
- 1-1/2 quarts whole milk
- 9 Eggland's Best Eggs, well beaten
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a Dutch oven, heat rice and milk over low heat for 1 hour. combine
- eggs, sugar and salt. Slowly pour into hot rice mixture, stirring
- constantly. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, just
- until the mixture coats a metal spoon. Remove from the heat and stir
- in extract and peel. Place pan in the sink filled with ice for 1 to
- 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove custard to a covered bowl and
- chill. Yield: about 16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 199 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 132 mg cholesterol, 154 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 7 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.