Stirred Lemon Rice Custard Recipe
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice, chilled
- 1-1/2 quarts whole milk
- 9 large eggs, well beaten
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a Dutch oven, heat rice and milk over low heat for 1 hour. combine eggs, sugar and salt. Slowly pour into hot rice mixture, stirring constantly. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, just until the mixture coats a metal spoon. Remove from the heat and stir in extract and peel. Place pan in the sink filled with ice for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove custard to a covered bowl and chill. Yield: about 16 servings.
Originally published as Stirred Lemon Rice Custard in Country April/May 1991, p53
This recipe pairs well with a sweet white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Seven Daughters Moscato, sweet floral aromas of peach and honey. Buy now and get 4 bottles for $49.99. Order Now
Reviews for Stirred Lemon Rice Custard
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review