Stir-Fried Steak & Veggies Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen stir-fry vegetable blend, thawed
- 1. Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix cornstarch, water, soy sauce, brown sugar and seasonings until smooth.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add beef; stir-fry until no longer pink. Remove from pan. Stir-fry vegetables in remaining oil until crisp-tender.
- 3. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Return beef to pan; heat through. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup stir-fry with 1/2 cup rice equals 304 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 470 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.