I developed this recipe one evening when I was hungry for fajitas but didn't want to light the charcoal grill! That makes the preparation a little different from traditional chicken fajitas...but our family likes these better.
Recommended: 99 of Our Favorite Chicken Dinner Ideas
- 4 boneless skinned chicken breast halves cut in thin strips
- 3/4 cup bottled Italian dressing
- 1 small mild onion, sliced, separated into rings
- 1 small green pepper, sliced in strips
- 1 small red pepper, sliced in strips
- 1 small yellow pepper, sliced in strips
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Flour tortillas
- Picante sauce
- Sour cream
- In heavy plastic bag, combine chicken strips and dressing; refrigerate several hours or overnight, turning bag occasionally. Drain.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat; stir-fry chicken strips and onions for 2 minutes. Add pepper strips and mushrooms; cook and stir until chicken is done and peppers are tender-crisp. Season with garlic salt, lemon juice and salt and pepper as desired. Serve in warm tortillas. Top with picante sauce and sour cream. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Stir-Fried Chicken Fajitas in Country April/May 1990, p49
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Stir-Fried Chicken Fajitas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 22, 2010
"I have used this recipe for nearly 20 years. It's the best!"