Stir-Fried Beef on Lettuce Recipe
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/8-inch strips
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups fresh snow peas
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 1. In a small bowl, combine soy sauce and wine or broth. Reserve 1/4 cup. Pour remaining soy sauce mixture into a large resealable plastic bag; add the beef; seal and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and reserved soy sauce mixture until smooth; set aside.
- 2. In a nonstick skillet, stir-fry mushrooms and snow peas in 2 teaspoons oil for 3-4 minutes or until snow peas are crisp-tender. Remove and keep warm.
- 3. Drain and discard marinade from beef. In the same skillet, stir-fry beef in remaining oil for 2 minutes. Stir cornstarch mixture; add to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Place lettuce on four serving plates. Top with beef mixture and snow pea mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (1 cup stir-fry mixture with 2 cup lettuce) equals 246 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 856 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.