Stir-Fried Asparagus with Water Chestnuts Recipe
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3/4 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium green pepper, cut into julienned strips
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, broth and soy sauce until smooth; set aside. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry the asparagus, green pepper, onions and garlic in hot oil for 2-3 minutes. Add the mushrooms; stir-fry for 1-2 minutes. Add water chestnuts; stir-fry 1-2 minutes longer. Stir broth mixture; add to the vegetables. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 3 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 133 calories, 5 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 567 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.