"Here's one of my very favorite recipes for that first early-spring asparagus," writes Marie Hattrup from Sparks, Nevada. "Stir-frying keeps the texture crisp but tender; lemon and soy sauce make for a light tasty coating, and the toasted almonds add a flavorful crunch."
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a skillet or wok, heat oil; stir-fry the asparagus, onion and
- garlic over medium-high heat until tender. Add the almonds, lemon
- juice, soy sauce and lemon peel; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with
- Parmesan cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 85 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 101 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.