- 3 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked medium grain rice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups pitted dates, chopped
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup hot caramel ice cream topping
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, rice and salt to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until rice is tender. Add dates and milk; cook and stir for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, 1 cup cream and butter. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir into rice mixture. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat the sour cream, caramel topping and remaining cream until slightly thickened. Serve with warm rice pudding. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Sticky Toffee Rice Pudding with Caramel Cream
"Can you make the rice part ahead of time then bake it when you get where you're going? Will it still be okay the next day?"
"I made this for my mother-in-law and she absolutely adored it. You will want to give this to the rice pudding lover in your life."
"Oh my this sounds wonderful but since I don't like dates I will substitute with raisins, thank you for the wonderful recipe!!"
"Re-read the first step"
"Where do the dates get added. Did I miss something? Sounds wonderful!"